Advanced Certified ScrumMaster® Training [A-CSM]
We often hear the question “so what does a ScrumMaster do?” when working in organizations. ScrumMasters are a crucial role in helping teams improve, yet they help in more subtle and lasting ways then telling people what to do by positional power. One of the key challenges is learning how to help bring people together to deliver value, without taking ownership. Bringing people together goes beyond getting consensus, getting to collaboration means tapping into the knowledge and wisdom of the entire team.
Advanced Certified ScrumMaster (A-CSM) picks up where Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) leaves off, helping ScrumMasters with the real day-to-day challenges of helping teams and organizations grow and improve. Throughout the course, you will use hands-on, engaging exercises to learn and expand your knowledge. We will explore how to have challenging conversations, confront and resolve conflicts, deal with impediments, address real facilitation challenges, and uncover what drives you and your team for long-term wins.
What is Advanced Certified ScrumMaster (A-CSM)?
Advanced Certified ScrumMaster (A-CSM), is a certification from Scrum Alliance, that builds on the Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) knowledge. A-CSM focuses on the next-level of skills and experience that agile professionals need as they dig into more challenging issues. The A-CSM certification, and our course were designed to help:
- Facilitate better dialogue between the Product Owner, team members, customers, stakeholders, and executives.
- Respond confidently when encountering resistance to change, lack of engagement, low motivation, and unavailability of key people.
- Increase engagement to encourage greater accountability, commitment, and buy-in.
- Understand how to have valuable agile scaling conversations.
- Read all of the A-CSM Learning Objectives.
In order to achieve the A-CSM certification, you must complete both the A-CSM training class and document your experience as a ScrumMaster. The A-CSM is an advanced course on the path to certification as a Certified Scrum Professional. Read more about the A-CSM and Scrum Alliance Certification process.
What to Expect
We take training and learning seriously and take your decision to spend time advancing your skills and improving yourself seriously. As such, we use the latest training approaches and techniques, and bring energy and fun, to ensure you have the best possible experience and learn as much as possible.
- Brain-based training to dramatically increase learning and retention (all instructors are Certified in Training From the Back of the Room training)
- Expect to be challenged and look at ways you need to change to help others improve
- Opportunities throughout the course to focus on your real-world situations
- Advanced and cutting-edge skills and techniques to deal with the specific challenges you are facing
- In-depth engagement with your instructors and fellow attendees. If you are looking for a dry lecture, this class is NOT for you!
- Interactive, fun, and experiential learning — increasing safety and retention — laughing helps learning
- Understand how facilitation helps leaders achieve high-performance teams
- Explain the value of facilitation and all the aspects involved in great facilitation
- Examine common facilitation challenges to improve your results
- Dispel common servant leadership myths to avoid common leadership errors
- Identify what drives you as a team leader
- Discover what drives your team towards shared ownership
- Define what it means to be a high-performance team
- Practice designing, facilitating, and evaluating several events using multiple facilitation tools and techniques
- Explore key scrum challenges through the class and gain techniques to deal with topics such as conflict, listening, collaboration, and decision making.
- Recognize various scaling approaches and discuss when to scale
- Observe and evaluate the clear differences between coaching and other approaches
- Evaluate how engineering principles and practices can help teams collaborate and deliver value
Who Should Attend
Anyone who can benefit from the course is welcome to attend, including: ScrumMasters, agile coaches, product owners, product managers, facilitators, agile team members, leaders, and others in the organization who are looking to level up their skills.
NOTE: In order to receive the A-CSM certification, you must:
- Have an active CSM certification with the Scrum Alliance.
- Complete the A-CSM course (e.g. this class) via a Scrum Alliance approved trainer.
- Document at least 12 months of experience as a ScrumMaster on your Scrum Alliance Profile. If you do not have the 12 months of experience, but want to learn and apply these concepts, you can take the class and document the experience as you get it (you will not have the A-CSM until you have all the experience documented).
Length & Level
Length: 2-days + pre-reading assignments
On-site at your location or held publicly throughout the year.
- Have an active CSM with the Scrum Alliance
- 12 months experience as a ScrumMaster (or similar role)
- Note: Anyone may attend, but you need the above items to receive the A-CSM.
- 16 PMI PDUs
- 16 Scrum Alliance SEUs
- Qualified for to apply for the Scrum Alliance – Advanced Certified ScrumMaster (A-CSM) *see Pre-Requisites.
View public courses below, or if you are interested in scheduling an onsite A-CSM at your organization, please contact us.